Practice Areas: Litigation, Employment Law, Insurance Defense, General Municipal Law
Attorney Deborah I. Ecker has 25 years of experience as a trial attorney representing both public sector and private clients. She represents clients in a broad range of complex litigation including employment law, constitutional law, land use and general practice litigation. Attorney Ecker litigates cases in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and nationally. She has also successfully represented bank clients at arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
In her employment law practice, Attorney Ecker counsels clients on a wide variety of personnel issues, including policy promulgation, implementation and enforcement, best management practices as well as employee hiring and firing.
- Negotiated numerous settlements favorable to clients at mediation.
- Successfully defended a municipality against a challenge brought by an employee following the municipality’s search of its email system.
- Successfully defended a School Department at trial against claims of sexual harassment brought by a special education teacher against the School Resource Officer.
- Successfully defended a School Department on appeal against claims of student on student sexual harassment.
- Conducts workplace investigations into allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination.
- Represented parties in the defense of general liability matters, including damage to commercial property that involved review of leases and applicable insurance policies as well as matters arising from construction projects.
- Successfully defended a bank client against a former employee’s claims for age and gender discrimination, prevailing on a motion for summary judgment.
- Successfully represented a financial institution at arbitrations pending before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority against claims brought by former employees for defamation and wrongful termination.
- Successfully represented large national companies in multi-state employment law litigation against claims of discrimination under state and federal laws as well as claims for retaliation, defamation, wrongful termination and the violation of the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Extensive experience representing clients at deposition, mediation and arbitration.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. District Court (Mass.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Boston University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1989
University of Vermont
Bachelor of Arts, 1989