Practice Areas: General Municipal, Litigation
Attorney Jackie Cowin is a senior litigator for KP Law, representing municipalities and their officials and employees in civil rights, common-law tort, contract and land-use matters, among others. She regularly appears in State and Federal Courts across the Commonwealth at both the trial and appellate levels. She also assists clients with a variety of municipal law issues, including zoning matters, the Federal Telecommunications Act, firearms licensing, public records, and the Open Meeting Law.
- Roma, III, Ltd. v. Board of Appeals of the Town of Rockport, Supreme Judicial Court No. 12278 (2017)
On direct appellate review, SJC held that cities and towns have home rule authority to regulate the use of land for non-commercial private restricted landing areas, without oversight from the Commonwealth. The decision reversed a prior Appeals Court ruling in a separate matter.
- DoCorp v. Town of Stoughton, et al., First Circuit Court of Appeals No. 15-1978 (2017)
U.S. District Court granted summary judgment, and First Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed, on nightclub owner’s claims that Police Chief had violated his Equal Protect and First Amendment rights.
- Strautmen v. Majenski, Plymouth Superior Court, No. 2014-00945 (2017)
Judgment issued in favor of Police Chief on claims that Chief used his official position to interfere in investigation of allegations of bullying at high school in a neighboring town.
- Desjardins v. City of New Bedford, Bristol Superior Court, No. 1473-00111 (2017)
Jury returned defense verdict in motor vehicle accident claim.
- Fuller v. Boston Housing Authority, Suffolk Superior Court, No. 1584-2044 (2017)
Jury returned defense verdict on tenant’s claim for negligence based on alleged property defect.
- Town of Granville v. STG Regional School District, Hampden Superior Court, No. 1779-00153 (2017)
Obtained $146,000 judgment in favor of Town based on Regional School District’s breach of Regional Agreement with respect to the closure of elementary school.
- Metcalf v. Town of Northbridge, Massachusetts Appeals Court, No. 2016-P-551 (2017)
Massachusetts Appeals Court affirmed Superior Court holding that town was immune, under Massachusetts Tort Claims Act, from claims by property owner that town was liable for damage caused by baseballs hit from abutting school baseball field.
- Sheehan v. Town of Rockport, Essex Superior Court, No. 1577-CV-00997 (2016)
Superior Court denied plaintiff’s attempt to certify class of 154 tenants on claim that town breached obligation under lease agreement.
- Drumgold v. Callahan, First Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 11-1304 (2013)
First Circuit Court overturned verdict in favor of plaintiff alleging wrongful conviction based on claimed Brady violation by police detective.
- O’Laughlin v. Town of Lee, et al. , U.S. District Court C.A. No. 13- 10111 (2013)
U.S. District Court dismissed plaintiff’s claim of Brady violations underlying prior conviction.
- Cruz v. Kagan, et al. U.S. District Court C.A. No. 09-11793 (2011)
Jury rendered defense verdict in claim that police officers used unlawful deadly force.
- Defends cities, towns and their officials and employees before State and Federal Courts in civil rights matters, common-law tort, contract and land-use claims.
- Advises clients with respect to litigation matters, zoning issues, the Federal Telecommunications Act, firearms licensing, public records, and the Open Meeting Law.
- Has provided training to police officers on Fourth Amendment issues on behalf of the Municipal Police Institute, and to Southeastern Massachusetts Building Officials Association on the Federal Telecommunications Act.
Federal District Court Judge Patti B. Saris, Boston, MA
Intern (Spring 2002)
Attorney General’s Office, Boston, MA
Intern (Fall 2001)
The Boston Globe, Boston, MA
Staff Reporter (2000-2001)
The MetroWest Daily News, Framingham, MA
Assistant Sports Editor (1995-2000)
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. District Court (Mass.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
New England School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2002
Bachelor of Arts, 1994