Practice Areas: Labor & Employment, General Municipal, Litigation
Attorney Joseph S. Fair has more than 20 years of experience in labor and employment law, including negotiating collective bargaining, settlements, and other agreements. His experience includes representing clients before state and federal courts, various state agencies, and labor arbitrations; drafting and responding to discovery requests, dispositive motions and other pre-trial matters; conducting and defending depositions; drafting appellate briefs; and delivering arguments on appeal.
Attorney Fair has a well-rounded background in labor and employment law having represented public employers, labor unions, and individual employees. Prior to joining the firm, he was an associate for nearly six years at a Boston employment and labor boutique law firm where he represented labor unions and individuals in litigation and collective bargaining matters. He also served as a field representative attorney for the local chapter of a large union.
Attorney Joseph S. Fair also practices general municipal law, assisting clients with a variety of issues including town meetings, municipal charters and by-laws, conflict of interest, public records, Open Meeting Law, and municipal finance.
- Has negotiated well over a hundred collective bargaining agreements and other agreements with numerous public employee unions that included concessions on wages, overtime, sick leave buyback and increases in employee health insurance contribution rates, co-pay amounts, and other health insurance changes, including the transfer of several communities’ coverage to the Group Insuance Commission.
- Favorably defended or resolved arbitration matters involving such subjects as suspensions, terminations, layoffs, vacation pay, detail pay, sick leave buyback, out of grade pay and uniform allowance payments.
- Successfully represented municipal clients before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, Department of Labor Relations, Civil Service Commission and Division of Unemployment Assistance.
Dwyer, Duddy, and Facklam, P.C., Boston, MA
Represented clients in labor, employment and litigation matters in various state and federal forums. Drafted and resoponded to discovery requests, dispositive motions, and other pre-trial matters. Conducted and defended depositions. Prepared and presented case-in-chief of cases assigned. Drafted appellate briefs and delivered argument on appeal. Advised clients on labor and employment matters and provided them with written opinions. Negotiated collective bargaining, settlement, and other agreements.
Service Employees International Union, Local 254, Boston, MA
Field Representative/Attorney (1997-1998)
Represented collective bargaining unit members at disciplinary, grievance, and arbitration hearings. Assisted with contract negotiations. Principal administrator of all bargaining units assigned.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. District Court (Mass.)
Boston College Law School
Juris Doctor, 1997
Bachelor of Science, summa cum laude, 1994