Attorneys Jeanne S. McKnight
Jeanne S. McKnight
Practice Areas: General Municipal, Real Estate, Land Use
Attorney Jeanne McKnight, a former urban planner, has over 25 years of experience in real estate and land use law. She counsels municipalities on acquisition and disposition of land, leasing, eminent domain, public utility and roadway projects, betterment assessments, special permits, variances and appeals, subdivisions, affordable housing permitting and development, and real property tax incentives, and handles title disputes in the Land Court. Attorney McKnight also represents cities and towns in all aspects of general municipal law, including town meetings, municipal charters and by-laws, conflict of interests, public records, the Open Meeting Law, and municipal finance.
Prior to joining our firm, Attorney McKnight was an associate with a large Boston law firm representing lenders and developers in complex real estate transactions and work-outs.
- Assisting the Town of Provincetown in a complex three-way land swap to privatize the Town’s skilled nursing facility. The deal involved complex title issues, Community Preservation Act funds, numerous permits and approvals, including a rezoning, a Historic Commission Certificate of Appropriateness, a Development of Regional Impact Permit from the Cape Cod Commission, and a National Heritage and Endangered Species favorable determination.
- Assisting the Town of Burlington with a three-way land swap involving two developers, the preservation of a historic site near the Town Center from inappropriate development, and partnering for the development of affordable senior housing on two sites.
- Assisting the Town of Provincetown and the City of Newburyport with developing and implementing innovative sewer and water systems pursuant to special legislation and assisting with the establishment of equitable fees and assessments to ensure cost recovery.
- Providing general municipal law services as the primary contact attorney for several towns. Responsible to the Board of Selectmen and Town Administrators for providing efficient and cost effective Town Counsel services.
Planning Department, Town of Framingham, Framingham, MA
Senior Planner (1977-1983)
Conducted research and project planning, prepared open space plan, administered housing rehabilitation program, monitored community service programs, developed new zoning by-laws, disposed of surplus public property.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Needham Planning Board (elected 2007)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts (REBA)
- American Planning Association
- City Solicitors and Town Counsel Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- Massachusetts Bar
Harvard Law School
Juris Doctor, 1986
State University of New York College at Purchase
Bachelor of Arts, with Honors, 1977
- “Federal, State and Municipal Legal Framework and Issues that Must Be Addressed to Create a Viable Stormwater Utility,” New England Water Environment Association, January 2007
|< Prev||Next >|