KP Law is in the forefront of renewable and alternative energy law. The legal services offered by KP Law’s Green Practice Group include procurement and contracting (including net metering credit and power purchase agreements), land acquisition, leasing, regulatory compliance, public construction and related issues.
- Solid Waste Management: This firm is a recognized state-wide expert in providing legal advice and services to communities seeking long-term solutions to solid waste management and recycling programs. We have assisted numerous municipalities in negotiating solid waste collection and disposal agreements. We have advised our clients in all aspects of siting, permitting, operating, closure, and post-closure use of solid waste facilities. We have also assisted many municipalities in the management of municipally-owned landfills through the negotiation of long-term operating agreements with private vendors.
- Water and Wastewater: Our attorneys routinely advise cities and towns on Water Management Act requirements for the establishment and maintenance of new water supplies and for the permitting, design and construction services necessary to deliver potable water to residents and business. In the area of wastewater treatment, we have similarly provided a wide range of legal services to our municipal clients with respect to preparing and implementing wastewater facilities plans, designing and constructing wastewater treatment facilities, and advising with respect to regulatory compliance and enforcement.
- Green Communities Initiatives: The Massachusetts Green Communities Act established a grant program and regulatory reforms that enable municipalities to obtain funding for alternative energy solutions, including wind turbines and solar power. The qualification process requires municipalities to implement certain regulatory reforms and best practices that require careful implementation. As a leader in municipal land use law, we have a unique ability to counsel our municipal clients on the steps that must be accomplished to achieve Green Community status under this program.
- Energy Management Contracts: We have provided legal advice and services to our municipal clients in the highly technical areas of procurement and contracting for energy management services. Energy management contracts are beneficial to municipalities because they do not involve appropriations in advance, but instead rely on cost savings guaranteed by the vendor over the life of the agreement which can have a term of up to twenty years.
- Alternative Energy Solutions: Our firm has developed significant expertise in energy siting, which includes real estate dispositions and acquisitions and leasing arrangements that result in the locating of alternate energy facilities on municipally-owned land. To successfully site such facilities, municipalities require legal services that our firm is uniquely qualified to provide, including legislative authorization, procurement and land disposition agreements, negotiating complex power purchase agreements, and advise and assistance with the negotiation and implementation of net metering and renewable energy credit agreements.